Sunday, January 4, 2015

2014 Horror Fest: Automata: 55 Out Of 100 Stars

Completely cop out rating because I honestly don't know if it was good or bad, if I liked it or didn't like it, and why. I'm not a big sci-fi guy to begin with so I'll admit that it just may not have been the material for me, but I did kind of enjoy the twists and the performances so your mileage may vary.

Antonio Banderas stars as a post apocalyptic insurance man working for the company that designs and builds the worker/helper robots that do much of the manual labor for the worlds remaining cities. The robots have two directives, 1) Preserve human life, 2)They can not fix or alter themselves. Dylan McDermot, not putting in a whole lot of effort, plays a cop who spots a robot fixing itself and blows it away, thus setting into effect a chain of events which lead Banderas to try and figure out why and who has tampered with the robots circuitry when such a thing should be impossible to do.

Banderas is really good. Mellanie Griffith has a small role and she looks good, although she very may well be as much special effects as the robots at this point. Robert Forster and Dylan McDermot kind of phone things in but that's OK because their roles aren't big enough to really affect things.

The sets, effects and robots are all really good.

I guess I just never felt like I was going to get a satisfying pay off, partly because of my expectations, but also partly because the film never really feels like it's going to deliver anything more than you expect it to.

No comments:

Post a Comment