Thursday, July 17, 2014

Cheap Thrills: 71 Out Of 100 Stars

I loved this movie, but god damn does it get really dark. Like, way more dark than I was expecting, and I was expecting dark. David Kochner, who is fantastic playing more of a straight man than I'm used to seeing him do, and Sarah Paxton, play a rich couple out celebrating her birthday. They meet Vince and Eddie, two down and out buddies, played by Ethan Embry and Pat Healy, and a series of little bets and dares get further and further out of hand as the night goes on.

I went in to this on the idea that it was a bit of a dark comedy, but there's not a whole lot funny here man, it's just straight up dark. Even the lighter moments that elicited a chuckle are quickly moved on from as you just can't escape the fucked up shit going on in this film.

This makes two straight really good performances from Koechner now, both using him in a much more subdued/serious way than anything I'd ever seen him do. He's starting to grow on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment