Tuesday, January 28, 2014

All Is Lost: 30 Out Of 100 Stars

All is boring is more like it. God dammit. I love Robert Redford, and despite him looking every bit his nearly 80 years in this film, he really does a fantastic job with the physical performance. The problem is it's just so insanely boring. His boat encounters some damage, he does some shit, but not being a sailor I have no idea what the fuck he's doing. I guess I was rooting for him to succeed in whatever the hell it was, but it's hard to get invested in outside of, I hope he don't die doing that.

There's almost no dialog in the movie, and I mean that. After the first 30 seconds of the movie I think he says about 10 words for the next 90 minutes. The other thing is, the movie opens cold with him on his boat. Eventually we find out where he is, but the why and the who are left a mystery. I understand what the film is trying to do, but it just doesn't work.

As the film wore on I couldn't help thinking of Paul Newman and how after Nobodys Fool he probably had a good 10-12 years where he could have made one final great movie, and it never came. If this is Redfords swan song than it's a fucking waste. That probably pissed me off more than anything.

The old man in the sea, just not how I wanted to see the old man go out.

No comments:

Post a Comment