Monday, January 20, 2014

Bad Grandpa: 95 Out Of 100 Stars

Do I really feel like, in retrospect, this movie deserves a rating like this? Not really. On the other hand, I laughed like a mental patient pretty much all the way through. I mean, my fucking stomach was hurting and I think I might have coughed up some blood at some point or pooped myself. That's how hard I was laughing. And I can't ignore that when judging it. I seriously hadn't laughed that hard at a movie in a longgggggg time.

The thing is, when trying to describe it to a friend, I found myself thinking, "I really don't know how to describe how this was funny. Balls come out, dicks get stuck in stuff, poop is involved". I'd probably be rolling my eyes if the situation were reversed and it was being explained to me by someone. And yet I seriously didn't stop belly laughing throughout the whole damn thing.

I think the thing is that there's always been a sort of tenderness and warm hearted tone to a lot of the Jackass material, especially from Knoxville. It's not just idiots doing stupid things, it's friends doing things together. You could always feel the love they have for each other, and that adds a layer to a lot of the stuff they do, and this movie really takes that to the nth degree with Knoxville and the kid. You feel like they're truly having a grand time together, and as silly as the "movie" portion of the movie is, it works wonderfully because of that relationship. There are scenes with just the two of them together where it honest to god feels like they're having the time of their lives, and that really carries over into the story. It says something about how transcending, honest and raw emotion can be.

I guess that's probably it. For every dick getting stuck in something joke, there's a moment of real sweetness. There's a grandpa and his grandson, learning about each other and learning to love. I honestly think there are very few actors who could do what Knoxville does here, and the kid more than holds his weight as well.

Fuck it, I loved this movie and I'm not ashamed to say it. The story more than holds it own to go along with the jokes and pranks. Combine the two and you have a near masterpiece.

No comments:

Post a Comment