Thursday, January 2, 2014

Gravity: 68 Out Of 100 Stars

The problem with Gravity is that actually loses tension as the film goes on.

The opening shots, even on my 24 inch monitor, were astounding and I have no doubt that on a big screen it's even more awe inspiring. It's certainly a visually stunning movie, so props for that.

It was also very hard to watch for the first 30 minutes or so. Not necessarily in a bad way, but I just felt really uncomfortable. I wasn't just on the edge of my seat, I was off it. But it wasn't like I was rooting for Bullocks character, I was just so queasy that I wanted things to progress so my nerves could settle down. It's hard to explain but I don't know if that reaction is what you want to get out of the viewer.

Once things settle down and you get used to the backdrop and it becomes more of a normal, progressing story, well, it becomes much more of a normal, progressing story that's above average but not anything groundbreaking. In fact watching calamity after calamity sort of got a bit tiring. But it's short enough and the ending is solid enough that I'm not gonna rant too much.

I'd certainly recommend at least trying to watch Gravity, but I'm not real positive you get much more of the intended effect of the film than you do from just watching the trailer.

No comments:

Post a Comment