Thursday, January 2, 2014

Man Of Steel: 44 Out Of 100 Stars

Man, the trailer had me all excited for something more than a big, silly, action movie. The trailer done lied to me.

There's just wayyyyyy too much story here for my tastes, or at least story I had no interest in, or at least story that I may have had some interest in, just not this damn much.

The shit on Crypton is silly and goes on for what felt like half my life, then I gotta deal with fucking Amy Adams and the Lois Lane portion of the film, I mean for fuck sakes, they could have called this movie Girl Of Pluck cause it seems she's in it more than Henry Cavizal.

We got spaceships, special effect liquid spaghetti monsters, the codec, more silly myth and back story than anyone needs, and interspersed with all that we have what looks an awesome story about Supermans burden and the burden of his father, played by a woefully underutilized Kevin Costner.

The problem is that the movie jumps around so much, that just when I'm getting into the story about Clark as a boy and his family and his struggle with his powers, I'm flipped back aboard a spaceship watching Russell Crowes ghost give soliloquies via special decoder ring. At least if the story had been told in natural progression I could say I enjoyed that half hour or whatever, but alas nobody took into account what I wanted.

Cavazil really is great as Superman, and I wish they had allowed him to do more. Much more in fact. Zod is also damn good, which makes me wish the interactions between the two had amounted to something more interesting than a lot of smashing shit.

Then there's Amy Adams, who I may be the only person on Earth who just doesn't get. I don't find her sexy, I don't find her interesting, I don't find her acting anything more than competent, and yet it seems that half the world is having wet dreams over her. Color me clueless. Crowe is good, but enough of him already. I could have done with a complete redistribution of his and Costners arcs in the film. Then poor Chris Meloni, bless his heart but he looks like a TV actor lost in a major motion picture. Richard Schiff is criminally underused but at least he got a nice paycheck.

The action is big and loud, and one has to wonder exactly how many trillions of dollars in damage were done in saving the Earth. Buildings fall down, stuff explodes, spaceships shoot death rays, it's endless, it's numbing, and it's not much fun.

There's probably a good movie here centered around Clark Kent and General Zod, unfortunately it's woven into a long, drawn out, over explained smash em up that at over two and a half hours, left me exhausted and frustrated.

No comments:

Post a Comment