Thursday, October 24, 2013

2013 Horror Fest: An American Ghost Story: 68 Out Of 100 Stars

Frustrating movie in that the scares and the tension are magnificent, but the lead actor, charged with carrying the movie, is just not that good.

The story is simple as shit, a guy moves into a house where a family was slaughtered by the father years earlier. He plans on writing a book about the house and is hoping for some sort of paranormal activity to occur.

At first it just seems like it's going to be another poorly acted, low budget, snooze fest. But then the scares start, and man oh man are they good. I almost pissed myself a time or two. There are lulls, and at times the leading actor is hard to stay interested in, but after the first scare I was always on the edge of my seat, and that's good enough for me.

There are only 5 characters in the entire movie, 4 of whom don't have much screen time. It's a shame the lead is so milquetoast, as this could have really been something special. As it is though I've got to give this movie a lot of credit. They clearly don't have much of a budget, the credits suggest a small crew. And still it's easily one of the more frightening movies I've seen in a while, they totally understand what makes for a good chiller, even if the acting and script aren't up to par.

An American Ghost Story is a very pleasant surprise. Now for me to go change my underpants.

No comments:

Post a Comment