Wednesday, November 14, 2012

2007 Horror Fest: Hatchet: 71 Out Of 100 Stars

Early on in this film I recognized Pete from Dharma & Greg and Jump To Conclussions bro from Office Space and was probably 100 times more excited than i should have been, but what can I say?

So the main plot revolves around a New Orleans swamp legend about a deformed man beast who likes to kill folks with a hatchet. Best thing to do is just not go near his old abandond house in a closed down section of swamp.

Unfortunately, or fortunately, a small time asian tour guide who thinks he's black, doesn't know any better, and leads a cavalcade of misfits down the swamps for a tour. The boat gets stuck and hillarity ensues.

Amongst the tourists, 2 college buddies, a softcore girls gone wildesque director, his 2 lovely subjects, an older couple, and a girl with a secret.

I won't give anymore of the plot away because this is actually a movie worth checking out. This is a horror/comedy that really works. The kills are a ton of fun, using gore, direction and a nice score to really bring out the best in every severment and decapitation.

The jokes come fast and furious as well, but it never devolves into parody, which would have been an easy route to take. I laughed out loud more than a few times but was never distracted from the bad situation they were in, it balances the line perfectly and entertainingly.

There really wasn't much bad about the film at all. It does take a good 10-15 minutes to get revved up but once it kicks in it never lets up. There was a, to me at least, a legitimate "JUMP" moment, which almost never happens to me anymore. In fact when it occurred I jumped and then literally said out loud "holy shit they got me", and I was so verily pleased. The ending, imo, also rocks.

So, if you're looking for a good, fun, horror movie that doesn't take itself too seriously, but still provides all your looking for in a slasher film, then this is the baby for you.

Hatchet, catch it!

And this I why I drudge thru the crap.

No comments:

Post a Comment