Thursday, November 15, 2012

Baby Mama: 75 Out Of 100 Stars

I laughed really hard a number of times despite the story being very obvious and cliche ridden. I like Fey and Poehler, they don't have to do much to make me laugh at them so if you differ in this regard maybe knock the review down a few notches on your own scale.

I think the standouts of the film who really helped set a nice base amidst all the whackery were Kinnear and the black bellhop, they really played their parts well and came off as a real people dealing in real situations while the ladies got their jokes and punchlines in, it was a nice combination. And while I thought he was for the most part funny, Poehlers boyfriend was a bit over the top and would have been a bit better served not to be so straight out of goofy hick boyfriend central casting. There was a real push and pull between real world drama and movie world goofiness which at times delivered an unnecessary dichotomy.

Steve Martin, why? I dunno. He was ok, but a lot of people could have played that role and honestly as the movie progressed I went from being overjoyed he was in it to sort of sad that he was wasted in it, but it's a bit role so I'm not gonna rail about it.

Overall a fun romp with a lot of funny people, it has a heart but doesn't get sappy and while it walks a tightrope it never quite falls off and delivers the goods if you're looking for a solid comedy from someone not named Apatow.

No comments:

Post a Comment