Thursday, November 15, 2012

The Brothers Solomon: 64 Out Of 100 Stars

This movie is awfully constructed. This movie contains lead characters that have no basis in reality. This movie overcomes alot of shittyness by complete willpower.

Will Forte and the awesome Will Arnett play 2 totalLy inept and semi retarded brothers who want to fulfill a lifetime wish of their fathers, to give him a grandchild. The closest thing I can compare these 2 characters to are the leads in Dumb and Dumber, but unlike that movie you never feel like these guys are real, they never attach on any kind of real level, they just act dumb.

Now for the first 10-20 minutes of this movie I was totally not into it, the direction, the structure, the jokes, the characters were all horrid on a very high level, I was totally prepared to turn the thing off. But then something happened, and I can't say exactly what. It's like watching someone fail at something so badly but instead of going home they get up off the mat and just keep trying, and at some point I started to laugh, and I laughed, and I never stopped laughing. The story is ridiculous of course, but the fervor with which they try to make it work is just fuckin awesome. Eventually I even started caring about them and enjoyed the journey. For instance, Chi McBride does the Chi McBride thing and is a totally stereotypical character, but what he does (and I don't even know what it is) makes it work. I laughed at shit i had no real reason to laugh at just because of how he did it.

I know this review may sound convoluted but give this movie a chance. And even when you're sitting there thinking this is mega piece of garbage, give it a few more minutes, you'll see what I mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment