Wednesday, March 6, 2013

2010 Horror Fest: Nightmare On Elm Street: 74 Out Of 100 Stars

This is of course the re imaging that came out last year.

This baby had a real chance to be a top flight film, and while the effort is clearly there, it comes up just short, but I appreciate how the series was revived and what the film makers were trying to do here.

The main difference between this version and the original is that a lot more of the story is focused on Krueger as a child molester, and the fact that it was the films kids that he diddled. It was a tight rope to try and focus on both aspects of Krueger, the supernatural part and the real, kid fucker, part. I thought for the most part they did a good job of separating the two aspects, but the longer the movie went and the more entwined they became, they sort of became a hindrance to each other.

I thought that the cast for the most part was pretty damn good. When you get pissed that a character has died, it's a good a indication you were enjoying him. The one exception would be the girl who played Nancy. She wasn't bad per se, I just didn't feel much for her, it felt like a lot of chicks could have done what this girl did and the film would have been better served to have a more believable and dare I say, sexier, girl. The male lead was very good.

I thought Jack Earl Haley was awesome as Freddy, but the makeup he wore was just a bit off. Too many times during the movie I found myself distracted by what I thought was a sub par effects job.

The kills were good, they called back to the original but had their own flavor.

A real solid beginning to what I hope is a series, much better than Friday The 13th re imaging which I have pretty much forgotten already.

Fans of the original and those who have never seen any of the previous films ought to have a fun time watching this movie.

You'll enjoy your time on Elm Street.

No comments:

Post a Comment