Tuesday, March 5, 2013

The Invention Of Lying: 69 Out Of 100 Stars

The title says it all when it comes to the premise of the film. Ricky Gervais lives in an alternate world where nobody has ever told a lie. Until.....

I enjoyed this movie more than I didn't, but it certainly felt like there was much more comedy left on the table than the finished product brought us. Oddly, I wasn't real keen on the early part of the film where it establishes that nobody lies, as the comedy sort of fell flat to me. Once the big moment happens there is a focus on religion and I've seen others lambast that part of the movie but really I didn't dislike it, it just sort of seemed unnecessary to the overall plot of the movie and what was the brightest part for me, the love story.

Once the pizza boxes are done with and we get to focus on the love story between Gervais and Garner I was smitten. I think Jennifer Garner, whom I've never had much fondness for, does a magnificent job opposite Ricky and really helps the last 30 minutes or so of the film get to a damn nice level.

Louis CK and Jonah Hill are solid, if underneeded in their roles as what amounts to straight men.

There are some good laughs and some tender moments and it's a film worth watching for sure, but for a movie that wants to be a story more than any specific type of genre movie, it's slightly askew.

Good film, I'm not lying.

No comments:

Post a Comment