Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Shutter Island: 70 Out Of 100 Stars

In another era, maybe this is a great movie. These days unless you see a film on the first day with almost no previous knowledge of it's contents, a twists effectiveness is hard to reconcile.

I knew the film had a twist. It doesn't take long to suspect what it is. I spent the first hour trying to outtwist the film itself. Grasping at bizarre possibilities and what not. But in the end it is what it is. So how does it play out?

Fine, I guess. The film has a very creepy aura and is shot wonderfully. You feel claustrophobic and intimidated watching the heroes plight. Leonardo is good, although his small stature stood out a bit. Ghandi kicks ass per usual, always menacing right under the hood, a dude who would give me legit turtle dick if he ever threatened me.

Now, does the twist work? Yes, but not as good as it would if this were 1990. I don't think the REAL story hits hard enough though. It's emotional yes, but the whole time we've been sort of mind fucked and so watching this character devolve (evolve) doesn't have quite the effect I think it should. And even in the learning process I was still expecting something else to happen. I out thought my good time, but that's not the movie fault.

No, this isn't a great movie, and it wouldn't be in any other era, but it probably would of felt bigger.

Anyway, Shutter Island is a good place to visit, but you wouldn't want to be locked up there.

No comments:

Post a Comment