Monday, March 4, 2013

Trailer Park Boys, Countdown To Liquour Day: 83 Out Of 100 Stars

I have to admit that for the first 30 minutes or so I was kind of like "OK, let's kick this thing into gear", but the more I watched the more I came to appreciate how good a movie, not just comedy, this movie was. Don't get me wrong, it's funny as fuck, but it's also maybe the best job they've done of building characters and progressing those characters story lines, in the entire arc of the show.

The fact that in the end, it all just comes around to the same dudes making the same mistakes and facing the same consequences just brought a smile to face. The more things change, the more they stay the same, especially when you're just not smart enough to ever avoid it.

I could go on and on but I really like the way Bubbles and J-Roc evolved in this one. In the span of the show Bubbles certainly morphed into clearly the brightest of the gang and I like that. He's a simpleton yes, but he also has a common sense that neither Jullian or Ricky have. The arc with J-Roc was really a nice surprise as he sort of just up and realizes that all this law breaking shit is just stupid. Maybe his dream might not ever come to fruition, but it sure as fuck can't come to fruition behind bars. Ricky has the same sort of epiphany but it comes in typical Ricky fashion, cutting off his nose despite his face and then cutting off his whole face cause he's pissed his nose is gone.

Maybe I'm just a dunce but I really got sucked in by Leahy and Randy. Every fuckin arc of theirs starts with them in a good place and then of course it all goes bad and I'm sitting there screaming "Nooooo, you're doing so well!!" But it wouldn't be TPB if they didn't eventually fall of their respective wagons.

Just so much about this film to love. The old staples get relied on but they add some freshness. The gay undertones with the whole gang, the camera crew finally being addressed and even being given a nice part in the whole scheme, it's just all so much fun.

In the end it was everything I was hoping for and more.

You'll have a blast at this Trailer Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment