Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Grown Ups: 72 Out Of 100 Stars

Ya know what? Fuck it man, this was a funny movie. For all the grief the previews got, and even in my own head preparing to be disappointed, I think one big thing was overlooked. These are five funny dudes, and given the chance to essentially just riff for two hours, they do a fine job.

As a movie? It's pedestrian and by the numbers as far as the script goes, but it looks good and has a nice feel to it. But besides that, as I said, this is just a chance for these guys to crack jokes on each other a few hours and I laughed a lot, and even did a spit take or two. Spade and James really carry the movie as Rob Schneider sort of gets stuck playing the straight man most of the time, but that's OK. Rock is pretty bad but isn't given much to do, so whatever, the bloom is way off his rose as far as an acting career goes. Sandler is typical Sandler, the goof with a heart of gold.

The thing that really helped me turn the corner on the movie were the kids. I went in expecting to be irritated, and instead they more than carried their comedic weight.

Sure it has it's clunkers and a few overly sappy scenes, and yes they do laugh at each others jokes too much, but I laughed and I laughed hard, and as the final scenes closed in I wished it wouldn't end cause when it comes right down to it, it's just a fun fucking movie. So there.

No comments:

Post a Comment