Monday, March 4, 2013

A Serious Man: 87 Out Of 100 Stars

Many people have called this the Coen Brothers most accessible film. And I think that's the wrong word. Most realistic maybe? Although it's still got their trademark cramming of the unbelievable in it, but I think really it's only accessible if you're willing to sit down and watch a movie so steeped in Judaism.

That's not meant as a bad thing because it's not like you'd imagine if I were to say to you "It's a movie about a Jewish dude and his faith and all the people who orbit him and their faith". I'm not sure I'd wanna watch that myself, based on the description. But you have to put your faith in the hands of the Coen Brothers. If you trust them, you'll have no problem with the film, because well, they're great at telling stories about things that may or may not be about those things. Man, I'm lost here.

No comments:

Post a Comment