Monday, March 4, 2013

Big Fan: 67 Out Of 100 Stars

This is a situation where I think I could rate this film anywhere from 10-20 points higher, but in good conscience I just can't. And it's not because the film lacks in anything, in fact I think it does what it wants to do almost perfectly. The problem for me was that it's just so hard to watch something filled with so much despair. I won't go so far as to say the movie was a chore to watch, but for certain watching someone so inept and just slovenly sad and pathetic as Oswalts titular character becomes rough after awhile.

It will almost surely not happen, but Oswalt deserves an Oscar nomination. This is as good a performance as I've seen in a film in a long, long time. I mean, it was uncomfortable watching him but I guess that's the point.

The film is visually dark and clearly fairly low budget but it plays fine and given most of the settings, those restraints add to the ambiance.

A lot of people don't seem to like to the last act of the film but I enjoyed it. What he does, in retrospect, is pretty much in line with what we ought to expect from him, even though the film would like us to think it's going to a very dark place. The man isn't as much crazy as he is sad.

So yeah, I wouldn't say I'm a Big Fan, but I think most people will enjoy this movie and to those who are heaping higher praise on it, I can't say I disagree.

No comments:

Post a Comment