Sunday, August 4, 2013

Exam: 44 Out Of 100 Stars

The problem I had with Exam has some to do with movies of it's ilk that have come before it. Cube springs to mind. It's a mind bender about 9 people put into a room to take a test, the only problem is that neither they, nor the viewer, are quite sure what the test is. From there I'll spoil it no more.

The trouble I had with the movie was that there are certain characters who immediately reminded me of certain characters from other films, and in fact they play out exactly as I expected. Once you know who you're watching, it takes some of the fun away. Secondly the characters just really didn't stand out to me. The group is meant to be diverse and that's fine, but they just didn't feel fleshed out to me. And a few of the performances leave a lot to be desired.

I wont go so far as to call it derivative, but I've seen it before and I've seen it done better. Add to the fact that the characters didn't immerse me or cause me to care all that much, and well there's only so many run ins a match can have to hide that it's not just all that fun a match to begin with.

Promise, but not enough to recommend it. Exam just doesn't pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment