Friday, August 2, 2013

True Grit: 80 Out Of 100 Stars

True Grit is everything great you may expect a Coehn brothers version of True Great starring Jeff Bridges would be. The problem, and I use that term loosely, is that it really isn't that much more than that. I'm not knocking the film and I'm not saying it isn't very good, I mean I did give it 80 stars.

The thing is that there are more moments that seem awkward and out of place than there are moments that transcend and really push the film into greatness.

Bridges is as awesome as you would think. The little girl is very strong but I'm not gonna kiss her ass as much as I've seen some other reviews do. She played a strong child character, she portrayed what the script asked of her but was she Oscar worthy? I don't think so. She's a kid so it comes off more impressive. Damon I'm not so sure about. His acting was fine and just like the little girl I think he delivered what was expected but I'm not sure the character on paper was real strong.

I think what I'm trying to convey is that movie almost felt whimsical. Even when a character was in danger there was sort of this tone of fancy to the film.

All this being said, it's still a really good film. I laughed, I was impressed by Bridges, the story was strong, it all added up to a fine viewing. But as I let the experience sink in I feel like there was more meat on the bone to be eaten.

No comments:

Post a Comment