Monday, August 5, 2013

Planet Of The Apes: 79 Out Of 100 Stars

Here we have a movie that is, to be frank, quite absurd, and quite a bad story, but it matters not, for the storyteller goes above and beyond his material to create a world and a character that draws you in and leaves you rooting for its characters in a way they might not deserve.

James Franco and a fake ape drew me in, I admit it. The story goes that Franco is a scientist working on a cure for Alzheimer and happens to stumble upon a monkey that has taken to the medication he's developed in a quite peculiar way. The monkey gets smart, way smart.

The visuals here are awesome, the actors work as hard as the director to overcome the story, and I was mesmerized. Watching the ape(s) was fascinating, and despite knowing how absurd the story I was being told was, I couldn't help but become totally engrossed in it. And then the movie moves from that point where your enjoying it, to that point where it knocks your fucking cock off. It all starts when a mean caretaker tells our simian hero to get his damn dirty hands off of him. I rolled my eyes I'll admit, but the next 5 seconds had me jumping up and down proclaiming to thin air how awesome what I just saw was.

So yeah, a fun fucking movie, and I'm not monkeying around.

No comments:

Post a Comment