Sunday, August 4, 2013

Inception: 78 Out Of 100 Stars

Alright, let's start with the great. Intense story, great action sequences, wonderful effects and the attempt to make the kind of movie that movies ought to be about. Splendor, wonder and a world created from imagination.

Now the trouble I have. How much did I really care? The movie feels wondrous yes, but it never feels grand. I'm sort of interested in the theories born out of it and if this or that was real, but it's not like I have a passion to know or read about them or seek them out. I know I just watched something complex and I think I have it figured out but if I don't then so be it. It aint eating away at me. I should have come out of this movie more intrigued in what I just watched.

Secondly, and this was something born out of Shutter Island. I don't feel greatness or transcendence when I'm watching Leo. I never feel like I'm watching a larger than life character. The same, in this movie at least, can be said for JGL and Ellen Page.

Thirdly, there were times I had to think too hard. I don't mind thinking, I don't mind a mystery, but when I have to spend time during the movie processing what I've seen to the point that I'm missing more of what's going on, well that sort of irritates me.

No doubt this is one of the best movies of the year, but I never felt while I was watching it that I was watching as grand a film as the story tries to convey it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment