Monday, August 5, 2013

Young Adult: 59 Out Of 100 Stars

Charlize Theron & Patton Oswalt play the leads, which excited me. Diablo Cody wrote it, which is a preamble for my agitation.

So Theron plays a chick who never really matured, she's a writer of tween books, which is fitting since she seems to be perpetually stuck in high school mode.

The film didn't really ring with me until a reveal about three quarters of the way through, which explained character motivations much better. I'd like to say it made me feel more sympathetic for the lead, but it really didn't.

I guess the reason the film really didn't work for me was the relationship between Theron & Oswalt. I just didn't really believe that she would attach herself to him in the way she does. Add on his rather dumb back story and it just became more effort than it was worth to accept their relationship, or their individual existences.

The dialog isn't completely annoying but it's agitating.

There's a decent story here, and I like all the actors, so I'm giving it a moderate thumbs up but I was certainly not as impressed as some reviews led me to believe I would be..

This Young Adult would be served just growing the fuck up already.

No comments:

Post a Comment