Friday, August 2, 2013

Get Him To The Greek: 67 Out Of 100 Stars

Let's be clear. I don't expect much more from a movie like this than for it to make me laugh out loud about 10 times while not boring the ever loving shit out of me. And on that it succeeds.

Now let's talk about what's wrong with it.

For starters, the first part of the movie that establishes the Aldous Snow character is so over the top that it not only isn't very funny, but it completely took me out of his character for awhile. That theme would continue for the rest of the movie, cause here's the thing right, if you're going to be as ludicrous with his songs as the movie is, they better at least be funny. If the very idea that this guy exists is far fetched, then how the hell can I sympathize with his human side as the movie tries to get us to do. Am I over thinking it? Probably, so let's move on.

Puff Daddy absolutely steals the show. I don't think there was a scene he was in that didn't get pushed over the top thanks to his energy, he was a pleasant surprise for sure.

As I said, I did laugh quite a lot, but at almost 2 hours long the movie felt stretched. There were a fair number of redundant scenes between Brandt and Hill that made things drag a little, but it did move from scene to scene fairly quickly so it wasn't all that bothersome.

Hill was solid enough as the straight man/unwitting accomplice although his story with Elizabeth Moss sort of felt shoehorned but it had to be there so whatever. And she is the perfect casting as a fat dudes girlfriend cause she's cute but not crazy sexy. In other words I could believe they were together.

The highlight of the movie for me was probably the Jeffrey scene. Watching Puffy and Colm Meaney have a knife/food/gun fight in a hotel room had me cracking up. That same scene also produced what I thought was the best humanization of Brandts character as he legit gets pissed at his dad for fucking with Hill while he was in a very bad state. Trying to talk your friend down off a bad trip is a cool thing to do.

I didn't care all that much for the end of the movie as it seemed liked the characters had their come together in Vegas and then once they got to LA it sort of reset and they had to do it all over again for some reason. This of course includes the very awkward three way scene which made little sense to me and made me really doubt the Moss character. The relationship with Aldous and his kid was also sort of a goofy tack on that seemed like it was just there to drive Aldous that much further over the edge without needing to be in there. It was just weird.

Surprisingly not a lot of sexy either. There were some tits and some hot chicks but 99% of the raunch is verbal or unseen. Can't say that wasn't a tad disappointing.

So yeah. Funny enough to overcome it's shortcomings with the story and the way it was told, but certainly not a blow away comedy or anything that. A decent little laugher.

Could have trimmed some fat and Got Him To The Greek a little sooner, but whatever, I laughed.

No comments:

Post a Comment