Sunday, August 4, 2013

The Kids Are All Right: 72 Out Of 100 Stars

Nice character movie that takes awhile to overcome the feeling that it's a Lifetime movie on steroids. But the star power of Benning and Moore help elevate the film.

The premise is pretty simple, a lesbian couple have each birthed a child through the same anonymous sperm donor. The daughter is now 18, the son 15. The daughter tracks down dad once she turns 18 and from there our movie is sprung.

The characters are all flawed and not exactly easy to like. That the actors are able to overcome that and make us care about them says a lot about how strong the cast is.

The story itself is rather base melodrama, but I cannot say that I wasn't eagerly awaiting the progression. There comes a plot twist midway through that I did not expect, and I did not much care for how they resolved it. But by the point you realize the conclusion will be left flat, you have already been on the journey, so it is what it is.

Actually, the more I think about the more I'm let down by the script. There's a world to unearth in all this sap and as I look back on the film, I wish I had gotten more of it. Whatever.

The Kids Are Alright, and so is the movie. But it could have been tighter.

No comments:

Post a Comment