Thursday, January 24, 2013

2009 Horror Fest: Outpost: 40 Out Of 100 Stars

Film about a group of guns for hire that starts off fairly strong and straightforward, but really waned in the second half, for me at least.

A commando is hired by a shady little man to form a team and lead him to a deserted outpost in the middle of nowhere during the Serbian war. As I said, the setup is good and solid and all of the commandos look and act like commandos and I was dug in for some fun, but when they get to the outpost the subject matter took a turn for the worse.

Turns out this outpost was a secret Nazi base where they did experimentation on unified field theory, much like the Philadelphia experiment. In typing it, it sounds a lot funner than it turned out, as the villains just aren't dreadful enough and the tension that develops plays more as a boredom.

This is not to say that it's a bad movie, I think a lot of people may actually enjoy it. It just didn't do much for me. The idea of commandos fighting Nazi ghosts sounds a lot better than executed in the film. The ending is also kind of silly. In fact the last 40 minutes or so were a letdown for me.

I'd say give it a shot if you're so inclined, as all the mechanics are there for a good movie, but if you start to get bored be assured that it won't pick up.

No comments:

Post a Comment