Friday, January 25, 2013

District 9: 74 Out Of 100 Stars

Odd reaction I had once I finished watching District 9. In retrospect I liked it less, or maybe appreciated it less is the right word. Allow me to elaborate.

It's a fun film. A very fun film as a matter of fact. You root, you jump, you say "holy shit, that dude just exploded". Now, that made for an awesome viewing experience and I won't or can't take that away from the film, and I highly recommend that everyone see this movie. There is a but coming though.

But. Is this a great movie or a classic Sci-Fi movie as I've seen people write? I don't think it is. To me classic Sci-Fi, and great movies, have the ability to create new worlds and allow for lasting rewatchability. I don't think District 9 has either.

As original as the movie is on the surface, it's really a story of 2 dudes fighting against something. It's done with a fresh coat of paint, and the explosions and kills and weaponry in the film are all kinds of awesome, but what is there below the surface? Looking back on it, I don't think there's a whole lot.

I guess part of my problem in looking back, is that the very idea is a bit far fetched. I don't mind far fetched in a movie set in fantasy, obviously something like Alien is farfetched but it exists in it's time and space. Here we're supposed to accept from the beginning that Aliens arrive, are put into shanty towns and live amongst us. It really is a silly premise when you look at it. Original yes, but still silly and that hurt my initial enjoyment of the film. Of course when the action kicks in it really is a joyous watch.

Anyway, I don't wanna run down the movie or fill it with spoilers but suffice to say it's a hell of a fun watch, but more in the way Shoot Em Up is than Blade Runner is.

No comments:

Post a Comment