Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Watchmen: 94 Out Of 100 Stars

Easily one of the best movies I've ever seen and a film so all encompassingly brilliant that it puts all other "Summer Blockbusters" to shame.

I've never read the books and had just the slightest knowledge of what Watchmen was before going in so I had no preconceived notions.

Right away I was taken aback by the world created both in story and on film, a 1985 close enough to the real one, but grimy enough to believably exist in this fake one.

There is only one character that missed for me, and that was the eventual villain. I'm not even damning it, just stating that for my money he was a slight letdown and as such the ending was the only tangible taste of bitter in my mouth, but all in all it can't detract from the overall awesomeness of the film.

Every character is so strong that I feel like they could have stood alone in their own film. Every nuance of their performance, every scene they were in left me wanting more.

The violence, the morality play, Carla Gugino, I mean god damn, it hit every note perfectly for over two and a half hours.

Batman and Spiderman were very good movies. Transformers was fun. Watchmen is a classic.

No comments:

Post a Comment