Thursday, January 24, 2013

2009 Horror Fest: Trick 'r Treat: 68 Out Of 100 Stars

A fun little throwback movie that intertwines many stories of horror and comedy, set in a single town on Halloween night.

The best thing about the film is that it brings the ambiance of Halloween in spades. From the opening shot of a leaf covered sidewalk with lit jack-o-lanterns in the background, the film gets the vibe of Halloween down to a tee and is wonderfully shot all the way through.

The stories are all above average with some being better than others and they way they intermix is well done. I really want to rate it higher but I had a slight issue with maybe too much going on. It's not that stuff was bad, it's just that there are periods of lulls where little things go on that bridge story to story, and I dunno, It just didn't quite work for me, I really don't know how to explain it.

We have a principal admonishing a chunky child for being mischievous, A group of hotties looking for a fun party, a group of tweens going on a scavenger hunt to help appease the souls of an urban legend and finally a cranky old man who doesn't much like Halloween. All the stories have more to them of course but I won't divulge much more.

Ok, I think it just hit me. Here's the thing, the tone of the film sort of changes too much. Funny then scary, then funny, then sexy. It's uneven, that's a better way to explain it.

Anyway, the best story by far involves the tweens. I was even beginning to get skeeved out when I started lusting after what I thought was a 14 year old. Turns out it was Anna Pacquin who was 27 at the time of filming, so I felt a little better.

If you're into fun Halloween movies with a good amount of frights and gore but not overly so, give this one a go, It's a treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment