Friday, January 25, 2013

Night Train: 52 Out Of 100 Stars

Really hard to rate this movie numerically as there is so much stuff that was good, but yet it just doesn't really add up to a good movie, although it gets an A for effort.

The basic setup is that 3 people on a train, passengers Lelee Sobieski and Steve Zahn, and conductor Danny Glover, are joined by a stranger carrying a mysterious package. I'll not give away any more, but to suffice the say the story is pretty original and has twists that left me anticipating, but in the end didn't pay off all that well in my opinion.

Not wanting to give away a lot of the story, I'll just sort of tell you that the story, while fresh and original, becomes a tad convoluted and silly in parts, although I can see how others wouldn't share that same opinion.

Another one of my problems are the performances of Glover and Zahn, who are sort of just playing people they've always played and/or overacting in parts. Honestly I didn't like Glovers performance at all. Maybe he and Zahn just annoy me. If you like those two go ahead and bump the rating up a bit.

The good parts of the film come from the actual cinematography and visual tones. It's a pretty refreshing movie to watch as far as the vibe it gives off. Also Lelee Sobieski is just a sultry, smokey piece of ass who is a pure pleasure to watch on the screen.

In summation, the potential was here for something very good and I can see how people may enjoy it much more than I did, but in the end there were was just too much bad to counteract the good.

No comments:

Post a Comment