Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Miss March: 84 Out Of 100 Stars

And now on to film #2, Miss March. This baby pretty much got peppered with horrid reviews and died the kind of box office death you see maybe once or twice a year. On the other hand I really liked the earlier works of The Whitest Kids You Know, a comedy troupe headed by the leads in the film, Trevor Moore and Zach Gregger so I had some faint hope going in that I might enjoy this film.

After watching the movie I have to say that I have no idea where the hate comes from. From the very first scene showing Trevor and Zack as kids, discovering Zacks older brothers Playboy, the movie really tends to hit every note a retarded comedy should.

I did spit takes every time the running poop joke was rehashed, if that makes me juvenile than so be it.

Either there's a time and way to use the gross out gags that I think Miss March does exceptionally well, or that there being used in a new setting with new guys and a new feel to them that felt fresh here but rehashed in The Hangover, I dunno, but I enjoyed the shock moments of this film so much more. Maybe it's a lack of airs in Miss March. I felt like I was being given exactly what I would expect, not just having it dropped in because it's come to be expected. Anyone who wasn't on the floor laughing when straw balls were revealed, well I guess you and me are just different people.

Anyway, going in I was very apprehensive because according to every review I've read this was a horrid movie. Having watched it I have no idea what people were talking about. I was worried about shit so unfunny it would give me douche chills, but for the life of me I can't understand a problem anyone would have with this film? Even if you didn't find it funny, it's a perfectly average film, and if you did find it funny well then it borders on awesome.

Besides enjoying most of the humor, I really dug the relationship between the leads. Again, maybe because it's fresher than the Phillips, Appatow, Ferrell comedies that have been the centerpiece of most comedies in the past few years but it was nice to see characters in the same vein that weren't carbon copies. We've all had buddies that were idiots and we knew were idiots, but when it comes down to it you know they'll always have your back, and in life that's the most important thing of all. I loved that undertone of the film.

Anyhoo, these reviews are probably a little too cerebral, for me at least, but the main thing I'm getting at is that Miss March is just the better comedy and better movie. And I think it's a shame that more people won't get to experience it because of preconceived notions.

No comments:

Post a Comment